Monday, April 9, 2012

A Week of Whirlwinds

Okay, so I've been pretty busy this last week. I'm pretty sure I'm going crazy, and not too sure what state I'm in. Literally.

Last week I was blessed to go to Idaho for my grandfather's funeral. There were over 100 family members in attendance. I'm not even sure what the final tally was, but I'll say that the family filled over 9 center and side rows in the chapel.

I was so afraid that when we went to the viewing on Tuesday night that everyone would be crying and that it would be a somber evening. Thankfully it was more like a family reunion with all the kids running around and brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandkids, etc telling stories. I believe my dad even met up with some guys he had gone to high school with.

I had a hard time talking to Grandma Bell. Any time that I started to go up to her and hug her, I started crying. Not that there's anything wrong with crying. That whole evening and into Wednesday during the funeral, I never saw Grandma cry. I'm guessing she cried the week before, but Grandpa's passing was a relief, a weight lifted from her shoulders. She was happy. Not worried about her dear husband. They'd been together for more than 60 years. But I love my grandma. I hope that somehow I was able to convey that to her.

I stood next to Mom and Dad at the graveside service. Dad gave the dedicatory prayer. Grandpa received full military honors as he had been a B-17 Tailgunner in WWII. As the shots rang out from the gun salute, to the folding of the flag, I held on to my dad's arm. It was such a relief knowing that I could cry and let out my emotions. I didn't have to be strong. I didn't have to hold in those feelings.

So Ryan, Amanda, and I flew in to Salt Lake City on Tuesday morning, picked up Tyler from the U, and drove to Burley. Wednesday morning was the funeral. Amanda, Tyler, and I drove back to SLC Wednesday night to drop Tyler off at his dorm and spent the night at Dad's cousin's house in West Jordan. Flew home Thursday morning. Had choir practice Thursday night. Worked at the barn Friday morning. Worked Saturday. Sunday was Easter, sang in the Ward Choir during church. Then immediately following Sacrament Meeting, Earl and I hopped in the car and drove to Arizona!

Now here it is, Monday night. So far today I have had a background interview with my background investigator, looked at an apartment, took a polygraph test, looked at another apartment, went to dinner with Adam and Cathie at this really good BBQ joint called Joe's, spent some time with A & C's best friends, and then drove over to C's parents' house for a visit as well.

I'm tired!!

Oh, and we are driving home tomorrow morning.

Did I leave anything out?

Wow. So now you know what I've been up to for the last week. I have way too much going on in my life right now. But if I didn't have all this to do, I would be sitting at home, doing nothing. So instead I am filling my life with (hopefully) worthwhile pursuits.

I'm not totally sold on either of the 2 apartments we looked at today. I think I was spoiled last visit when we looked at my "dream apartment" that I am still drooling over.

And now it's time for me to take nighttime meds to help me sleep. I'm totally sad that I don't have another dose of nighttime Tylenol cold and sinus to take. It's really the best when you're congested, have the start to a wicked headache, and need to sleep. I take it, fall asleep easily (not in a drugged stupor) and wake easily (also not in a drugged stupor). I'm not groggy or drowsy at all, like when I take a sleeping pill. I love it. And I'm all out. And I can't find it anywhere thanks to the shortage.

Since I just rambled on just now about medicine, I think that's my cue to go to bed.

No comments: