Saturday, March 31, 2012

I'm Thankful

I'm not entirely sure how to start this post. A great man left this earthly existence on Thursday. My grandfather, Hyrum Bell, passed away.

My family knew that Grandpa was nearing the end of his life. He had been on hospice care for the previous week. I was pretty much glued to my phone and computer, awaiting any updates/e-mails about his condition.

I am so happy that my parents were able to drive to Idaho for Grandpa's last moments. They arrived in Burley about noon and Grandpa passed sometime between 3 and 4. I told my dad that Grandpa waited for him to show up.

It's difficult for me to type this. But I feel that it needs to be written. I had the desire to go to Idaho for Grandpa's services, but reality was punching me down. I couldn't afford to miss 2 days of work to drive up and back.

And then an angel came to me. A wonderful woman who I met just over a year ago, offered to pay my airfare to go be with my family. My sister called me last night and said that she was booking flights and needed to know if I was able to go. I didn't think that I would, but then I remembered that B had made the offer. I called her up and with tears running down my face and my voice catching in my throat, I asked if the offer was still available.

This woman opened her heart and gave me the funding to be with my family during this time. I leave Tuesday morning with my older siblings and fly to Salt Lake City. There, we pick up my younger brother and drive the rest of the way to Idaho. Grandpa's services will be Wednesday morning. Then that evening, we will head back towards Salt Lake, possibly spending the night with my best friend, Sam, in Nibley, UT. We'll drop Tyler off at school Thursday morning, and then Amanda and I will fly home.

I am so thankful that my Heavenly Father is aware of me and my family. I am forever thankful that I have friends in my life who are so giving. I am grateful to have a husband who is supportive of me. I know that my sweet Grandpa Bell is happy and with friends and family now. I can only imagine the reunion he had with 2 of his sons, other family members, his Father in Heaven, and his Savior, Jesus Christ. To be welcomed with open arms into his eternal rest. It is extremely comforting knowing that Grandpa is safe and loved.

If you so desire, you can go here to read Grandpa's obituary. I probably shouldn't have read it while sitting here at work, but I couldn't not read it. I am so pleased that he will receive military services as well. Many tears have already been shed and many more will fall in the days to come. I love my family so much. I know that we will all be together again someday. And that is the best comfort of all.

1 comment: