Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Oh So Much Fun!!

Okay, so I think it's safe to say that I have recently had my first full run-in with insurance. Back in September I took a trip to the ER for a migraine that I'd had for a week. Most of the 5 people who read my blog know that I get migraines on a regular basis. Well, this one lasted a week, which was new and weird for me.

Spent about 5 hours there, got a CT and some wonderful drugs that took the pain and nausea away. I have since gone to a neurologist for follow up, and to create a plan of action to help with the pain. 

Now the bills are coming in.

Joy.

I made sure to sign up for a PPO because I wanted to be able to choose my own doctors and whatnot. So I pay the most out of my paycheck for it. Well, most of the bills were normal, still painful to see, but normal. I got my EOB today from the actual ER bill and it showed that out of the approximate $5600 that was billed, none of it was my responsibility. WHEW! dodged a bullet there!

So now I'm confused because I had an MRI done after the ER, when I saw my neurologist. Got the bill for that and saw that I owe $560 and my insurance only paid $280. Holy cow! Not cool. So after talking to Mom, I now have to spend time on the phone contesting this bill, because I had authorization from my insurance company to have the MRI. 

I'M SO CONFUSED!!!! I don't like dealing with insurance. It's not fun. It's frustrating. And most of the time, I just feel like I'm throwing money down the drain. Anyone else feel this way?

Oh the joys of being an adult...

No comments: