Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Kitchen Surprise!

As I journeyed again into the wonderful world of cooking tonight, I was forced to recognize yet another kitchen utensil that I do not have. 

I was making these very yummy chicken crescent rolls that my very best friend Sam gave me the recipe for. (They turned out great, thanks again for the recipe Sam!) As I was about to crush the croutons for the crunchy outer layer, I put them in a zipper baggie (no trademark infringement here!), and said to myself, "Now what will I use to crush them?" 

So I pulled out a soup spoon from the silverware tray and started to crush away. Then I asked myself, "How would Sam do it?" followed quickly by, "How would Mom do it?" Then it dawned on me. They have rolling pins!!! That's right folks, I don't own a rolling pin. Just goes to show how much actual cooking/baking I really do. 

Might have to put it on my wishlist for Christmas. Might have to bite the bullet and go get one myself. I don't think I can accept the fact that I'm at the point in my life where I ask for kitchen utensils for Christmas...am I?

In the meantime, my rare forays into cooking will have to do without a rolling pin. I'm not big on cooking so I think I'll be okay. It's not that I don't cook well, I do. It's just that I don't like it. I've noticed that when I do cook (more than just Hamburger Helper), I end up not eating much. Don't know if it is because I'm too tired to eat by the time the food is ready, or if I'm too warm and all I want to do is drink water...weird!

So, any suggestions on what type of rolling pin to get? My mom has a really old wooden one that I used when I would help her make sugar cookies or pie.  Don't need anything fancy...fancy doesn't match my kitchen style! Which is mostly whatever was cheapest. I just want something that will last and won't fall apart on me. 

I'd say it's time for me to do the dishes, but Earl is already doing them. We have a wonderful arrangement that whoever cooks, doesn't do the dishes. Isn't he a great husband? It's a good thing too that he's doing the dishes, because I made a lot of them!

1 comment:

Cath said...

Ah, I love kitchen gear! I suggest a French rolling pin, but the cheap one from Ikea works just fine. (Unless you lose it, which I somehow managed to do. How do you lose a rolling pin?!)