Sunday, November 22, 2009

Dreams

It's interesting to pay attention to your personal patterns. When I was young, I had nightmares frequently, which my mom can testify of. I used to walk from my room upstairs, all the way down the hall, down the stairs, through the dining room, kitchen, into my parents bedroom, and all the way to the far side of the bed to where my mom slept.

"Mom." Pause. "Mom." A little louder this time. 
"What?" 
"I had a bad dream."
"Do you want to tell me about it? 
"No."

"Okay, good night Mom."

And so I would reverse my path and head back to my room. Never did tell Mom anything about my dreams. Just that I had one. 

Well now that I'm older, I've notice that I don't dream very often. And if I do dream, by the time I wake up, I've forgotten what I dreamed. I don't wake up Earl to tell him if I had a dream. It's funny though. He dreams almost every night. 

However, the last couple of nights I have had dreams. Usually right before I wake up and the dream is still vivid in my mind. My most recent dream that I had involved myself, my parents, Earl, and my two kids. 2! Ahhh! I've got kids! 

Okay, shock aside, I had just moved back to Texas with my parents. Don't know where in Texas, but it was very flat and you could see for miles and miles. I was living with my parents and some storms were rolling in and before I knew it, a tornado warning had been issued for our area. I remember that I had started grabbing pillows and blankets and all sorts of stuff and started running to the basement, where I was staying with the kids. Earl was there and before we knew it, we could see the twister and it was the first time he'd ever been in a tornado. 

It was weird. Not the fact that I was living with my parents. But the fact that I had two kids! A girl and a boy. Two little cottontop kids. The girl was the oldest. I don't remember much, but I know they were cute. 

Dreams are an interesting phenomenom that I don't feel that we will ever understand. I'm okay with it too. Sometimes the dreams are fun to recall and really make you think. Sometimes when they have strong meaning, and sometimes they have warnings. Whatever the case may be, they are still fun!

1 comment:

AdamAndMelaine said...

I've always had incredibly vivid dreams. And more often not, they are scary and violent--war, family dying, me being chased by a psychopath, etc. I have never really understood that, because, I really don't watch violent movies, read violent books, or see violent things. I wake up crying or begging Adam to cuddle up to me. I hate it!! I'm always so grateful when I have a good one. I feel like such a psycho! :)