Wednesday, March 23, 2011

No TV on a Rainy Night

I have no clue what to write about today. Today was a day like any other.

I woke up, took Earl to work, stopped by my parents' house. My original intent was to pick up the old keyboard and come home and practice my music for OCMCO. But I got sidetracked. It was a beautiful morning. The air was still, the sky was blue and the temperature was just right. So Dad and I went outside and started pulling weeds by the waterfall. And we talked about this and that, nothing in particular.

Then I noticed that the canopy was leaning to one side. Of course we had to investigate! So we walked over and at first couldn't determine what was causing the lean. Then I looked up and saw a puddle of water on the top that wasn't supposed to be there. So I proceeded to grab the push broom and pushed the water over the top and caused it to spill to the ground.

The weight of the water stretched out the fabric and bowed the supports. So Dad found an old broomstick and the Handy Man's Secret Weapon, aka duct tape, and we supported the support. We discussed whether or not to brace the other two sides (one side had already been braced) and decided it could wait another day.

This is not an exciting tale. Pretty boring and lame. But it is the story of how I was able to spend a few hours of the morning with my dad. I didn't get to spend much time with him as a kid because he worked hard to keep food on the table and clothes on our bodies. I am not resentful of this fact. In fact, I am very grateful. I never went without. I have happy memories of my childhood. And then I became a teenager but that's for another day.

The point is, I love my parents. My mother is amazing and I hope one day to be the amazing woman she is. I want to always be home when my kids get out of school. I want to be there when my kid falls off his or her bike and has a skinned knee. I want to be there when my daughter has a broken heart. I also want to be practical like my father. The no nonsense kind and you do what you have to do to get things done. But to also have a sense of humor and a twinkle of mischief in my eye.

I want to have kids someday (soon, hopefully!) and I want them to know their grandparents.

Because let's face it: my parents are cooler than yours.

1 comment:

Samantha R said...

Your parents are pretty awesome! The day before yesterday I got a package in the mail from your mom - an adorable blanket for Nicole and a dump truck book for Blake. Blake carries that book around everywhere - to dinner, to bed, it even had to sit on the ground next to the bath tub during bath time! Blake and I are making a thank you card for her today...Blake needed a nap break :)