Saturday, April 2, 2011

Highs and Lows

I am SO bad!!

I said I was going to post something EVERY DAY. And now it's been a week since my last post!

Well, since then, life has continued on. I guess I will start with my knee, because there is news there! So just over a week ago my knee started to swell and I decided it was time to call the doc. Regular doc said it could be tendonitis or bursitis. He recommended I go to an orthopedic doctor for more. So I scheduled the appt. The day came and I was excited to get some answers. Instead I got extreme disappointment, anger, and tears.

They took x-rays, said my bone structure looked normal, ordered and MRI and said, "I'll see you in two weeks to go over the results."

Really? I spent $30 on a copay, probably $80 for the x-rays (have to wait for the bill) and an hour of my time for NO ANSWERS?????

So I scheduled the follow-up, texted my frustrations to Earl, and went to the car and called my dad, and before I could really say anything, the tears came and I was so mad and frustrated and disappointed! I can't exactly afford another $600 medical bill right now. Not really an option, you know? So the MRI is out. I'm calling the office on Monday to cancel everything and say thanks, but no thanks.

That same afternoon, Thursday, I went to Back Bay like normal. We ended up having two students cancel so I got to ride! I was super nervous because of my knee and I told myself to take it easy and not to push it. The first couple of times we trotted my knee wasn't happy. But then it started to loosen up and didn't hurt anymore! When I got home and took my boots off, my right one was more difficult to take off because it was swollen. My knee had drained!! All the fluid that had built up had drained! My body was healing!

The downside to this is that I currently have 1 cankle. The good news is that it is General Conference weekend so I don't have to wear a skirt so no one will see my cankle unless I show them!

Friday morning after lessons, I got to go for another ride! This time we went out on trail, along the back bay. It was so nice out! And all we did was walk, which was so relaxing! And then when I got home, I could see that more fluid had pooled in my ankle!

You're probably thinking, "This is gross, I can't believe this chick is talking about draining fluids and is using exclamation points after every sentence. That is so gross!" Well, I happen to think it's cool. And it means my body is healing on its own and I don't need to go back to the doctor!!

So now when I'm sitting, I put my right foot up on my left knee and rub my ankle to encourage the swelling up into my leg to be better absorbed back into my body. Bodies are interesting and wonderful things. It amazes me what it does to heal itself. So cool!

Have I grossed you out yet? Well, I'm not going to gross you out by posting a picture of my cankle. I just wish there was some discoloration in my foot/ankle. That would at least prompt the question, "What did you do?" Instead, people just think I have an abnormally large ankle.

And I don't want people to think I'm more weird than I already am!