Saturday, March 19, 2011

Roadshow!

Need I say more?

Well, I guess I will, since I know that some people who read this aren't LDS. But how to describe it? Here goes:

A group of people, usually teenagers, get together with an overall theme. The large group is subdivided into seven or so smaller groups. The theme is subdivided as well. Each group is given a specific amount of time to write, plan, rehearse, and perform their skit.

Tonight was the performances. I was not a participant, but my younger brother Tyler was. His group's title was "Ballerinas VS the Wung Chun Clan or Love is a Battlefield." My baby brother, who is now 6'4" and about 215lbs, played a ballerina. He also had to prove his manliness by doing one arm pushups. Partly also because he has one one good hand as he broke his right hand 6 weeks ago by being "17 and stupid" as he says. The story was that of a boy and girl, who fall in love, only to find out that the boy is a dancer and the girl is a kung fu master. So a fight ensues and "Bruce Lee" the girl's brother, a tiny little kid (probably not even 5') beat up my brother (the giant ballerina) and Tyler crawled off the stage.

It was very well done, cheesy, corny, and campy, but so much fun! Plus, it is a safe environment for kids to express and experiment with stage performing, if they have never had an opportunity to do so. I love that about my church. Kids are exposed to good things, things that will help them later in life. The shyest kid could turn out to be amazing on stage! It helps to build confidence. Plus friendships can be made and it's just good, plain fun!

The roadshow that I did years ago was an adaptation of the Disney movie "Aladdin." I played Jasmine. And Aladdin was played by a tiny little 12 year old boy (I was 17 and already 6 feet tall). I don't remember much from the plot line, but the end of our performance was me picking up the boy and carrying him offstage. So fun!

Anyone else have fond memories of roadshows? What did you do? Share!

2 comments:

Jenny K. said...

I do not remember what skit I did, I just remember having fun that weekend. Totally funny that you posted about this because for some reason the other day a random memory of me working on the show popped in my head.

Samantha R said...

I remember the first one I did. I was a dancing cactus!