Monday, January 16, 2012

Bitter, Party of One?

Okay so yesterday was not really a good day. I totally woke up on the wrong side of the bed. And then I couldn't find my undershirt and so I had to change my wardrobe choice for church at the last minute.

And I didn't have time to flat-iron my hair.

I know, the horror!


So Earl and I went on our merry way to church by way of picking up and elderly brother and somewhat disabled sister. I was bad, I didn't want to make small talk with them on the way to church. Is it really that hard? No, I was just in a funk and didn't want to. I know, I'm bad.

And when we got to church, the chapel was filling quickly and the overflow was already full. There was a missionary farewell. You know, one of those things that was discontinued like 10 years ago? Where the music, speakers, and prayers are all centered on the missionary? Yeah, one of those.

It irked me a bit.

I sang the songs, because well, they were songs I liked and knew. But I was irritated. Wondering why this kid is so special that he gets to go against what the church said. Why he gets a farewell when my younger brother will be heading out in a few months and I know he won't have the big huge sendoff.

I was asking lots of bitter "why" questions during church. I wasn't really paying attention.

Like I said, I was bad.

What are your opinions of the whole farewell thing? I kind of like how there isn't a big deal about them leaving. This is a humble time in a young man or woman's life. They are giving years of their life to serve God. They are not being paid. They have to dress in a suit or dress/skirt every day. They don't watch TV. They don't get to go to the movies. Or date. This is a selfless time. And I love how when a missionary goes out into the field, their last Sunday at church is like normal. They give a talk based on missionary work, or whatever topic they are assigned. The focus is on the gospel, not the person.

So please, tell me your thoughts. I know I handled the situation poorly, and I am sorry for it. I would really like to know how other people feel on the issue.

Ready, set, share!

2 comments:

Samantha R said...

I too like the changes the Church made to the farewell thing. There will always be people though that think that things don't apply to them. Our ward is so big that even with the changes when there is a baby blessing or a missionary who is leaving speaking if you are not to the building 15 minutes early you are in the gym just because of the few rows of family members there. We try to figure out when those things are happening because a 3 year old and wood floors during church is NOT a good mix!

Me said...

obviously there is reason as to why they changed it. Personally, I served a mission and I gave a talk and so did Abe (since we left together) but there was no special musical number we didn't do a luncheon afterwards it was just talks and then we are done. Whenever I go to someone elses farewell I always laugh and make the comment that we are told not to make a big deal out of it. But it doesn't bother me, I just shrug and say "whatever". I can understand your irritation but I'm surprised that it would bother you so much, youre so easy going! I agree though it is a humbling thing and we should NOT make a big deal out of it. I'm glad the church changed it I feel sometimes farewells take away from what Sacrament meeting is all about. :)