Friday, May 28, 2010

The Ring

This is not about that movie. It's about something much smaller and much bigger at the same time.

You see about two weeks ago I was at work for a night shift. I walked back from the bathroom and played with my wedding ring as I do on a regular basis. I just like the feel of it! When I looked down at it, my heart froze and my stomach dropped.

A diamond was missing.

I immediately found a flashlight and started looking over the floor around my terminal and on the path to the bathroom. I even shined the flashlight down the sink.

Nothing.

The little diamond was gone.

I was so sad. And I still had ten hours to go in my shift! What a long night it was going to be.

The very next day I sent my ring to the manufacturer for repair. I was so sad to not have my ring anymore. That ring had become a part of me. It was a symbol of love. There's so much significance in that ring. The love Earl and I have for each other, the hard times we've been through, and the life that is still ahead of us.

It's not that I wear my ring to show off. I wear it because it does let other people know that I am a married woman. Not that I'm afraid of random people talking to me. I just prefer to show people that I am very happy with my husband.

These past two weeks when I was without my ring, I felt incomplete. I'm not a big jewelry person. I think that less is more. So my regular jewelry includes my ring and my watch. To not have 50% of my regular accessories was weird. I didn't like it. Not one bit!

My wedding ring has become a part of me. It is an extension of me. I have to wear it. I love wearing it. And in these part weeks, I wore a substitute ring. Not the same at all. It felt different, not the same size or weight. There was an impostor on my finger! I was very anxious to get my ring back.

And it came! Yesterday! I was actually sitting on my deck reading, watching the cars go by, waiting for the UPS truck to show up. I even postponed grocery shopping until my ring arrived! And when the UPS guy FINALLY came, I ripped open the box like I was 6 years old on Christmas morning!

Oh it feels so good on my finger! I feel whole again! I feel complete! And I'm not having anxieties anymore. I was actually very worried that I would not have it back by the 5th, when Earl and I are sealed, not that we need rings for our sealing, I just wanted to feel complete!

So does anyone else feel like me? Do you have the same apprehensions about being without your wedding ring? And I know it's different when you're pregnant and your fingers swell so much you can't wear your ring. But you still have it in your possession. Mine was in another state! 1500 miles away! Maybe I'm just weird, but it feels good to have it back...!

1 comment:

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Congrats on getting sealed! YEA!

As a SAHM, I confess I rarely wear my ring since I wash dishes and change diapers all day. And I often forget to put it on when i run out the door.
My husband hasn't worn his in years. It makes me kind of mad still. He just hates the feeling of it on his finger and now that it's too small, well, he uses that as an excuse.