Sunday, May 23, 2010

Playing Catch Up

It has finally happened. I have time and energy to post something new!

Oh this last month and a half has been killer on me. Actually longer than that. Okay, let's back up to about May 1st. Earl and I got the go ahead to start working on fixing up our new home. We were able to get a great deal on a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom home on Balboa Island to rent for at least a year. And part of that deal was to provide the labor to update/upgrade the property. So the first step was to pull up the carpet in the living room. Oh man! The previous tenant was a smoker and had a dog. So needless to say, but I'm going to anyway, the carpet was stinky!!!

So the carpet was out, next was the paint! We picked out a really pretty brown. It's soft, almost the color of chocolate cake batter before it's baked. And that's what it looked like in the paint can too! Then the bedroom had to be painted. Same soft brown. Then it was the kitchen's turn. Earl painted that a dark cranberry color-very pretty and dramatic. Next was the bathroom in a bold almost periwinkle color, but with more blue in it. And all the trim is done in a bright frost white for a strong contrast.

The paint looks great. So then the next step was to put in the new hardwood floors. Living room was done first, then the bedroom. Then we pulled up the vinyl in the bathroom to find lots of water and termite damage. Oh yeah, there was termite damage in the living room. Earl's dad was able to repair the damage in both locations so that we could continue with the renovations. We even have cedar flooring in the closet too. That was Earl's doing. I'll admit, it's a nice smell. It was very strong at first and I had issues with it, but I've gotten used to it.

So while all this was going on, we still needed to pack up our apartment, and I was still working. So I haven't had much time for anything! But we finally got everything packed, the boxes moved and unpacked, and I have a moment to myself tonight to write.

We have been in our new place for three weeks now. It looks and feels like a home and that is what I love most. I have pictures on the walls, the bookcase filled with my beloved books, and a bed I can crawl into when I want to hide from the world.

Earl and I also received a letter from the First Presidency granting us the sealing clearance we've been waiting for. We have set the date for June 5th for us to be sealed for time and eternity. We've been waiting for a long time for this and are so excited that we get to do this.

And wouldn't you know that the day after I called the temple to schedule the sealing, I was at work and a diamond fell out of my wedding ring! So it is currently at the jewelers being repaired. And I'm really hoping to get it back by the 5th. Not that we need rings, the ceremony is so much more than a ring. I just don't like being without it!

So that is pretty much what I've been doing the last 2 months. And I even bought some flowers for my deck. Some red and yellow snapdragons and some other flower that looks similar to a daisy, but I can't remember what it's called.

Now I just need motivation to go fold laundry!

1 comment:

Sydney said...

Found you through MMB! Congrats on your sealing ... isn't it so wonderful to know you get to be with your honeybuns FOREVER?!

Sorry to hear about the ring ... no fun!