Thursday, September 1, 2011

Sleep, It's a Wonderful Thing

I can't begin to tell you how much I love sleep.

I love it. I'm obsessed with it.

It's one of my favorite hobbies.

And the last couple of nights, I've gotten some.

You see, for many years now, I have not been able to sleep throughout the entire night. Not that there were noises or other influences to wake me up. I would just wake up because that's what my body was used to from working 24-48 hour shifts on the ambulance.

But lately things have been getting out of hand. I would fall asleep like normal around 10pm. And I would be sound asleep until anywhere between 1 and 3am. I wake up for no apparent reason, and most of the time, I lay in bed, tossing and turning trying to fall back asleep. This would go on for weeks on end.

I can't tell you for sure what has changed within the last week. All I know is that I'm sleeping throughout the night. It is glorious. On days that I work, I'm not dragging my feet through the door and being a total grump the first 3 hours of my shift. And on days that I don't work, I have energy to get out of bed and actually do stuff around the house. Like laundry, or the dishes, or write about sleeping.

So it's good, this thing called sleep. I suggest you try it.


I even had the energy to get up and make pancakes for breakfast! Who knew sleep could do that?


2 comments:

Mary said...

I totally get your excitement! i a tickled pink because my 2 month old let us sleep for 5 hours straight last night!! I feel like i could conquer the world today! His norm is 3 hours at a time, then awake for an hour.
Glad you are doing well. I'll pray that this sleep thing becomes a continuing habit.

Samantha R said...

sleep sure is wonderful!